Creating a quiz involves a series of steps. After you name a quiz, you can access its tab menus to define its general properties, restrictions, assessment, objectives, submission views, and reports setup.
Table of contents
- Create a quiz
- Understanding quiz properties
- Understanding quiz restrictions
- Understanding quiz assessment
- Understanding quiz objectives
- Understanding quiz submission views
- Understanding quiz reports setup
- On the Manage Quizzes page, click New Quiz.
- Enter a Name.
- Select a Category from the drop-down list if you want to group your quiz with an existing category.
- Click Save and Close.
Category Group your quiz under an existing category or create a new category. Categories are useful for organizing quizzes with similar or related content. If you haven't set up categories for your quiz, click add category to create and name a new category. See Creating quiz categories for more information.
Click Add/Edit Questions to create quiz questions, sections, information, and to manage other question properties. See Creating quiz questions for more information.
If you import questions from the Question Library, your quiz will contain a copy of the questions, not the original questions.
Once you have added at least one question to your quiz, you can Edit Values to modify points value and difficulty level, and make questions bonus or mandatory.
Click Done Editing Questions to return to the Edit Quiz page. Once you add questions to your quiz, you can enter a value in the Questions per page field to indicate how many questions to display per page. Limiting the amount of questions available at a time is less overwhelming than placing an entire quiz on one page. You can also choose to prevent users from moving backwards through pages once they have left a page of questions.
Change description and introduction visibility by selecting on or off.
Description Create a description for a quiz that is not yet available to users.
Introduction Display a message to users at the start of a quiz. This will display at the top of a quiz before the first question.
Add information or instructions to the top or bottom of the quiz page. Change page header and footer visibility by selecting on or off.
Optional Advanced Properties
The following options are available in optional advanced properties:
Allow hints Allows users to access hints to questions.
Disable right click (Ctrl-click on a Mac) prohibits users from copying or printing quiz questions by right-clicking on a question when taking a quiz.
NoteYou can not disable ctrl-click for Mac users who use Internet Explorer or Safari.
Disable pager and alerts Users cannot access the Pager tool or their alerts if they have a quiz attempt in progress.
Notification Email The email address or comma-separated list of email addresses specified in this field receive a message each time a user completes a quiz attempt.
Dates and Restrictions
Changing your quiz status to Active allows users to see and take the quiz. You can specify a date range that your quiz becomes available to users. You can also add quizzes associated with a date to your course calendar.
Create new, or attach existing, release conditions if you want a quiz to be available to users only after they fulfill other specified tasks. Examples of release conditions include completing a dropbox submission; scoring a specified grade in a particular quiz; completing a survey; and being enrolled in a particular section. You can edit and change release conditions by clicking the Remove icon or Remove All Conditions.
If your organization purchases the Respondus LockDown Browser you will see two additional options on the Restrictions tab:
- Respondus LockDown Browser: Required to take this quiz Forces users to use the LockDown Browser when writing the quiz. The user cannot start the quiz unless they are using the browser.
Respondus LockDown Browser: Required to view quiz feedback and results Restricts users from viewing quiz feedback or results unless they are using the browser. This option makes it difficult for users to print quiz results and make them available to others.
If you select one or both of these options, users will see a Download Respondus LockDown Browser link when they try to navigate to locked pages. Users can click the link to download a free copy of the browser.
Optional Advanced Restrictions
Password To access a quiz, users must enter the same password you input here.
IP Restriction Users can only access a quiz from the IP address you specify here. Leave fields blank to allow multiple IP address access points.
You can specify whether users have a limited or unlimited amount of time to complete the quiz.
- No Time Limit Users have unlimited time to complete the quiz. The Quiz Details page will display a recommended length of time for completing the quiz. Select the Show clock check box if you want users to see a clock while taking the quiz to help them monitor the time.
- Enforce a Time Limit Users have a set amount of time to complete the quiz. The Quiz Details page will display the time limit for the quiz. A clock displays to users taking the quiz so they can monitor how much time remains. The clock flashes briefly 10 minutes before the time expires if the quiz time limit was set to one hour or more or 5 minutes before the time expires if the quiz time limit was set to less than one hour. The clock flashes again at 1 minute remaining, regardless of the initial quick time limit.
When enforcing a time limit, you can define specific outcomes for late submissions:
- Grace Period Provides users with a small window of time after the time limit expires to complete the submission before the submission flags itself as late.
- Quiz is flagged as late, but student can continue working Late submissions are flagged for instructors, but there are no automatic consequences for users who submit late.
- Quiz is flagged as late, and student is prevented from making further changes Once the grace period expires, users cannot make further changes to their answers before submitting their quiz.
- Quiz is flagged as late, but students can continue working. Quiz will be automatically scored as zero after the specified limit Users can continue working after the grace period, but a grade of 0 is automatically assigned after the period of time specified in the Late Limit drop-down list expires.
You can search and assign specific users a different set of quiz availability dates and late submission properties. Special access properties enable you to increase the time limit for special-needs users and allow different start and end dates for individual users.
Click Add Users to Special Access to create special access to a quiz. After you finish modifying special access properties and users permissions, click Add Special Access. When you return to the Special Access section of the Restrictions tab, you can select Allow only users with special access to see this quiz to prevent other users from accessing the quiz.
Grade ItemWhen associated with a quiz, you have the option to auto export quiz results to the Grades tool.
Auto Export to GradesThe system can send auto-graded attempt scores directly to the grade book if a quiz is associated with a grade item.
Student View PreviewIf you associate the quiz with a grade item, you can click Edit Display Settings from the Student View Preview context menu to manage how grades display to students.
Rubrics Add a rubric to a quiz if you want to evaluate users with a predefined set of criteria. You can associate a rubric with a quiz to demonstrate fair and consistent evaluation.
Automatic Grade Users can see quiz grade immediately after completion and submission.
Note The ability to display an automatic grade is limited by questions that cannot be auto-graded.
ePortfolio Artifacts Users can add the submission view of a quiz as an artifact to their ePortfolio.
You can allow users one or more quiz attempts and calculate a grade based on their highest attempt, lowest attempt, first attempt, last attempt, or average of all attempts.
Associate a quiz with a set of learning objectives and a competency that you want users to master. See Associating quizzes with learning objectives for more information.
A default quiz submission view will appear to users after each quiz attempt submission.
You can edit the default view or create and select a customized view.
Create an additional view
- Click Add Additional View to create a new submission view.
- Enter a Name for your view and a Message that will display to users after each submission.
- Set a Date to determine when users will see the submission view. By default, users will see the submission view immediately after a quiz submission.
- Select the IP Restriction check box to determine where users are allowed to view their quiz submissions. IP address restrictions reflect the same IP restrictions set in the Restrictions tab's Optional Advanced Restrictions.
- Select the Limited Duration check box and enter a time in minutes to indicate how long users can view a quiz submission.
- You can customize and display questions, responses, answers, scores, and statistics to users in the submission view using the options listed in the View Details section.
- Click Save.
Use quiz reports to gather information on user performance. Quiz reports are different from quiz statistics; reports collect and present more types of information than is available through statistics. Choose a report type to display question statistics, question details, users statistics, attempt details, or user attempts. You can also select a release date and choose which roles have permission to view each report.
Create a report
- Click Add Report.
- Enter a Report Name.
Select Report Type:
- Question Statistics Displays class average, score distribution, includes bonus questions, and the Out Of value for each question.
- Question Details Displays question difficulty levels, text responses, includes bonus questions, and shows all private comments.
- User Statistics Displays class average, score distribution, and Org Defined ID.
- Attempt Details Displays Org Defined ID and duration of quiz attempt.
- User Attempts Displays Org Defined ID.
- You can choose to immediately release report after a quiz submission, or enter an alternate date and time.
- Select the check boxes next to the roles you want to release the report to in the Release Report to area.
- Click Save.